Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Heisman Ballot: Preseason

I am still in the first week of working on this site, so I figured I would start out with the obligatory preseason All-Americans and Top 10. However I was thinking that this would be a more frequent post; every week I would do a mock Heisman ballot based on how things went that week and how the player had performed throughout the season. Like a Heisman ballot, it would only contain three players (a first place, second place, and third place player). Here's my preseason edition:

1. Mark Ingram, Jr. RB, Alabama
     - Although the odds of Ingram winning the trophy again are low, the poll is based on what the player has done, not what I think he will do, so for now, Ingram gets my #1 vote; he is the only returning Heisman finalist, and the winner at that. Yes, there's talk that he may not be as talented as his own backup, Trent Richardson, and yes, with the continued development of QB Greg McElroy the passing game should receive more attention this year, but Ingram has earned it.

2. Jacory Harris, Jr. QB, Miami (Fla.)
    - Harris is my first team preseason All-American at QB, and he is due for a Heisman-worthy season after his breakout campaign in 2009. A good passer but average runner Harris will benefit from the maturation of his line and his receivers, as well as a stingy defense.

3. Terrelle Pryor, Jr. QB, Ohio State
    - Yes, I gave my second-team All-American quarterback spot to Arkansas' Ryan Mallet, but Pryor has a more compelling case for the trophy considering he will almost certainly be on a better team, one that should contend for a national title. Could Arkansas surprise everybody? Sure, and if they do Mallet will most likely make an appearance here. Could Ohio State fail to meet expectations? Yes, it's happened before. But until then Pryor gets my #3 spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment